Undershaw - A home
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle lived in the house until 1907 with his wife, Touie, and two children Mary and Arthur, known as Kingsley.
During the time he spent at Undershaw he was knighted, formed the rifle club (the start of the home guard) and had his most productive time as a writer, penning novels, plays, and poetry. He was also a keen local golfer and cricketer, bowling out only one first class wicket: W. G Grace.
He was one of the first people in Hindhead to own a motor car and installed a generator to produce electric lighting, something largely unknown outside of cities at the time.
Furthermore Sir Arthur was an advocate for social justice and during his time at Undershaw he represented George Edalji, a case that was to pave the way for the setting up of the Court of Criminal Appeal.
Most importantly however during this time, he resurrected his most famous character Sherlock Holmes, writing many of his most famous works such as the Hound of the Baskervilles. Published in 1902, it was written in the study at Undershaw.
When living at Undershaw he was visited by many famous writers including J.M. Barrie, author of Peter Pan and Bram Stoker, author of Dracula. The latter wrote an article for the Daily Chronicle on his visit and the work & career of his host.
The death of his wife in 1906 and his subsequent marriage (to Jean Leckie) led to Sir Arthur leaving Undershaw and moving to live in Crowborough in East Sussex. The house, however, remained in his ownership until 1920.